pip throws TypeError: parse() got an unexpected keyword argument 'transport_encoding' when trying to install new packages

Viewed 48226

I am using the latest version of Anaconda3. I just installed it and I am trying to download some packages. I am using the Anaconda Prompt. While trying to use pip to do anything (including upgrading existing packages) I get the following traceback.

    Exception:
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "C:\Users\csprock\Anaconda3\lib\site-packages\pip\basecommand.py", line 215, in main
    status = self.run(options, args)
  File "C:\Users\csprock\Anaconda3\lib\site-packages\pip\commands\install.py", line 335, in run
    wb.build(autobuilding=True)
  File "C:\Users\csprock\Anaconda3\lib\site-packages\pip\wheel.py", line 749, in build
    self.requirement_set.prepare_files(self.finder)
  File "C:\Users\csprock\Anaconda3\lib\site-packages\pip\req\req_set.py", line 380, in prepare_files
    ignore_dependencies=self.ignore_dependencies))
  File "C:\Users\csprock\Anaconda3\lib\site-packages\pip\req\req_set.py", line 487, in _prepare_file
    req_to_install, finder)
  File "C:\Users\csprock\Anaconda3\lib\site-packages\pip\req\req_set.py", line 428, in _check_skip_installed
    req_to_install, upgrade_allowed)
  File "C:\Users\csprock\Anaconda3\lib\site-packages\pip\index.py", line 465, in find_requirement
    all_candidates = self.find_all_candidates(req.name)
  File "C:\Users\csprock\Anaconda3\lib\site-packages\pip\index.py", line 423, in find_all_candidates
    for page in self._get_pages(url_locations, project_name):
  File "C:\Users\csprock\Anaconda3\lib\site-packages\pip\index.py", line 568, in _get_pages
    page = self._get_page(location)
  File "C:\Users\csprock\Anaconda3\lib\site-packages\pip\index.py", line 683, in _get_page
    return HTMLPage.get_page(link, session=self.session)
  File "C:\Users\csprock\Anaconda3\lib\site-packages\pip\index.py", line 811, in get_page
    inst = cls(resp.content, resp.url, resp.headers)
  File "C:\Users\csprock\Anaconda3\lib\site-packages\pip\index.py", line 731, in __init__
    namespaceHTMLElements=False,
TypeError: parse() got an unexpected keyword argument 'transport_encoding'

Any ideas? (this problem only started after I installed tensorflow) Thanks.

7 Answers

I had the same problem and what worked for me was updating pip with conda:

conda install pip

It changed my pip from 9.0.1-py36hadba87b_3 to 9.0.1-py36h226ae91_4 and solved issue.

I ran into the same problem while installing keras (after I installed tensorflow 1.3 using pip) on the latest version of Anaconda 3. I was able to fix the problem by installing keras using conda conda install -c conda-forge keras

I was getting this exact error installing SerpentAI. All I did to fix it was run activate serpent in conda prompt and then I ran the command again. Not sure if it's applicable to your situation, but they seem close enough that it might.

EDIT - if the above didn't work, comment out this line: enter image description here

That worked perfectly for me. (this took a helpful member of our community 8 hours to debug)

Here was the fix for me:

cd /usr/share/python-wheels/

Contents of dir:

-rwxrwxrwx   1 www-data www-data 493905 Jul 22  2015 html5lib-0.999-py2.py3-none-any.whl
-rw-r--r--   1 root     root     112620 Apr  3  2019 html5lib-0.999999999-py2.py3-none-any.whl

Run:

mv html5lib-0.999-py2.py3-none-any.whl html5lib-0.999-py2.py3-none-any.whl.bak

pip3 works fine after. Was loading the old 0.999 version.

Related