I'm developing an (NDK) app that needs to decode 1920x1080 JPEG images at at least 60FPS. I've compiled (for ARM NEON) and am currently using TurboJPEG which can meet this requirement for some time before the device starts getting too hot (it's not that hot, but have no explanation for why it starts slowing down, beyond that). I've developed the same app on iOS and had the same issue there (except there the phone actually did get quite hot) and resolved the issue by switching to HW/GPU JPEG decoding. I'd like to do that on Android, and have searched far and wide to find out how to do that on any Android device (I know all is not feasible) without luck.
I have used BitmapFactory.decodeByteArray() and can say that it definitely doesn't use HW JPEG decoding on Samsung S7 Edge (6.1), neither is it anywhere near fast enough (~20-25FPS). I've used TurboJPEG which is fast enough but has thermal issues. I've looked into using OpenMAX IL (not public, if at all on Android) & SKIA (seems to use TurboJPEG).
Can it really be possible with JPEG decoding hardware sitting in pretty much every recent Android SoC that there is absolutely no way to use it???! I can't believe that, so how to use it?