I've implemented a neural network to predict the xor gate. It has 1 input layer with 2 nodes, 1 hidden layer with 2 nodes and 1 output layer with 1 node. No matter what I try to do my cost keeps on increasing. I've tried setting my learning rate to small values but that just makes the cost increase slowly. Please, any tips appreciated.
import numpy as np
train_data = np.array([[0,0],[0,1],[1,0],[1,1]]).T
labels = np.array([[0,1,1,0]])
def sigmoid(z,deriv = False):
sig = 1/(1+np.exp(-z))
if deriv == True:
return np.multiply(sig,1-sig)
return sig
w1 = np.random.randn(2,2)*0.01
b1 = np.zeros((2,1))
w2 = np.random.randn(1,2)*0.01
b2 = np.zeros((1,1))
iterations = 1000
lr = 0.1
for i in range(1000):
z1 = np.dot(w1,train_data) + b1
a1 = sigmoid(z1)
z2 = np.dot(w2,a1) + b2
al = sigmoid(z2) #forward_prop
cost = np.dot(labels,np.log(al).T) + np.dot(1-labels,np.log(1-al).T)
cost = cost*(-1/4)
cost = np.squeeze(cost)#calcost
dal = (-1/4) * (np.divide(labels,al) + np.divide(1-labels,1-al))
dz2 = np.multiply(dal,sigmoid(z2,deriv = True))
dw2 = np.dot(dz2,a1.T)
db2 = np.sum(dz2,axis=1,keepdims = True)
da1 = np.dot(w2.T,dz2)
dz1 = np.multiply(da1,sigmoid(z1,deriv = True))
dw1 = np.dot(dz1,train_data.T)
db1 = np.sum(dz1,axis=1,keepdims = True) #backprop
w1 = w1 - lr*dw1
w2 = w2 - lr*dw2
b1 = b1 - lr*db1
b2 = b2 - lr*db2 #update params
print(cost,'------',str(i))