In the c++ standard it is specified that within the class member-specification (class body), the class can be considered completely-defined, but not for static data member initializer [class.mem]:
A class is considered a completely-defined object type (6.9) (or complete type) at the closing } of the class-specifier. Within the class member-specification, the class is regarded as complete within function bodies, default arguments, noexcept-specifiers, and default member initializers (including such things in nested classes). Otherwise it is regarded as incomplete within its own class member-specification.
EDIT: This is a citation from N4687, wording has changed but I do not believe the meaning changed.
I was expecting such code to compile:
struct enum_like
{
static constexpr enum_like enum_member{};
};
Why such a definition disallowed by the C++ standard?
I believe compilers could proceed this way:
read member declaration, not definition until class definition closing brace. (Now the compiler has a completely defined class)
Analyse static data-member initializer (This way compilers have the constant definition of constexpr members)
Analyse other member definitions.
And then resolve recursions for static member intializer as is specified in [decl.init] for non static members!