SSDT installation issue (Failed to execute EXE package.)

Viewed 86791

I am having an issue with the SSDT installation for VS2017.

I have ran the installer three times, once basic, once following VS update and the last following some minor windows updates.

All 3 times the logs stumble at the same point, anyone know what this .exe it is trying to run is (I am running the installer with Admin...). I read somewhere for a similar error that it might be the SDK but I am able to run this locally, any nice workarounds to having this installed out there?

[29BC:A138][2017-09-26T09:28:00]i000: MainViewModel.OnPackageActionProgress: Percent completed: 50, Overall progress: 4
[1EC4:6DB0][2017-09-26T09:28:00]e000: Error 0x800703e9: Process returned error: 0x3e9
[1EC4:6DB0][2017-09-26T09:28:00]e000: Error 0x800703e9: Failed to execute EXE package.
[29BC:A138][2017-09-26T09:28:00]e000: Error 0x800703e9: Failed to configure per-machine EXE package.
[29BC:A138][2017-09-26T09:28:00]i000: MainViewModel.OnPackageAction: Install Completed for package SQL Server Analysis Services (id: Microsoft.DataTools.AnalysisServices)
[29BC:A138][2017-09-26T09:28:00]i319: Applied execute package: Microsoft.DataTools.AnalysisServices, result: 0x800703e9, restart: None
[29BC:A138][2017-09-26T09:28:00]e000: Error 0x800703e9: Failed to execute EXE package.
[1EC4:6DB0][2017-09-26T09:28:00]i351: Removing cached package: Microsoft.DataTools.AnalysisServices, from path: C:\ProgramData\Package Cache\9864EE5369359DB622D0234B6C6B7640B949140C\
[29BC:A138][2017-09-26T09:28:00]i000: MainViewModel.OnPackageActionProgress: Percent completed: 100, Overall progress: 100
[1EC4:6DB0][2017-09-26T09:28:00]i372: Session end, registration key: SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\{5d5d6235-5c8c-4377-9a75-1b6368850657}, resume: None, restart: None, disable resume: No
[1EC4:6DB0][2017-09-26T09:28:00]i330: Removed bundle dependency provider: {5d5d6235-5c8c-4377-9a75-1b6368850657}
[1EC4:6DB0][2017-09-26T09:28:00]i352: Removing cached bundle: {5d5d6235-5c8c-4377-9a75-1b6368850657}, from path: C:\ProgramData\Package Cache\{5d5d6235-5c8c-4377-9a75-1b6368850657}\
[1EC4:6DB0][2017-09-26T09:28:00]i371: Updating session, registration key: SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\{5d5d6235-5c8c-4377-9a75-1b6368850657}, resume: None, restart initiated: No, disable resume: No
[29BC:A138][2017-09-26T09:28:00]e000: MainViewModel.OnBundleAction: Bundle action failed: Recursion too deep; the stack overflowed (0x800703E9)
[29BC:A138][2017-09-26T09:28:00]i399: Apply complete, result: 0x800703e9, restart: None, ba requested restart:  No
[29BC:6724][2017-09-26T09:28:04]i000: MainViewModel.OpenUrl: Opening url: C:\Users\RTOMPS~1\AppData\Local\Temp\SsdtSetup\SSDT-Setup-ENU_20170926092556.log
9 Answers

The answer from Nick is very helpful, but I still failed at SSDT-Setup-ENU.exe /repair with the same error Error 0x800703e9: Failed to execute EXE package..

Then I tried it with a very straightforward way: (Disable UserAccountControl first)

  1. copy SSDT-Setup-ENU.exe to c:\temp and execute SSDT-Setup-ENU.exe /layout to download a local copy of the bundle.
  2. open C:\temp\redist and double click NDP461-KB3102438-Web.exe
  3. open C:\temp\payload and double click vsta_setup.exe
  4. repeat to install others...

C:\temp\payload directory listing

Previous failed installations left VS2017 recognising that the installation was present in Visual Studio Installer. I removed the installation, restarted and the re-install was successful...

EDIT: This might not be relevant any more since SSDT 15.8.2 is now out.


In my case, I was on VS 2017 15.7.2 and I can't complete the installation in SSDT 15.6. What I did was to install SSDT 2017 15.7.0 and it worked.

Make sure to uninstall previous SSDT installations via the VS installer or Control Panel also the Microsoft Reporting Services Projects and Microsoft Aanalysis Services Projects extensions first if you have them before launching the installer.

Edit: I think my Python issue is a subset of Jeff Leach's comment about repairing Visual Studio. So, I would probably look at any Visual Studio errors you had while installing and try and fix them before trying to install SSDT. For the time being I would NOT update Visual Studio or its installer to the newest versions (15.7 and 1.16) because of known bugs with SSDT 2017. They are working on a fix that will be out with 15.7.2 but it's not out yet.

Info for the edit:

https://developercommunity.visualstudio.com/content/problem/246732/ssdt-1560-installer-the-configuration-registry-key.html


I found that Daniel's method worked, but I had to install Python manually to be successful.

After successfully installing the .msis in the payload directory I tried to install the Analysis Services VSIX and I wasn't successful because the installer couldn't install Python 3.6.3. I found the page at the bottom and did the following to successfully install the Analysis, Integration, and Reporting VSIXs.

  1. Check error logs and find what version of Python is the problem.
  2. Manually download and install the proper Python version (my logs said 3.6.3). The name of the executable was python-3.6.3-amd64.exe and I got it from https://www.python.org/ftp/python/3.6.3/python-3.6.3-amd64.exe
  3. Uninstall SSDT extensions from within Visual Studio. I uninstalled all of my previously unsuccessful VSIXs.
  4. Manually install VSIXs. This worked out for me and I am able to use all of the SSDT functionality!

Just to do control testing, I installed Reporting Services with the /repair option and was successful. I think the main issue was the Python error. I think if I would've had Python installed everything would've gone smoothly. This is very frustrating because I got this same Python "error" when first installing Visual Studio 2017 (15.6.7)...expect the "error" was just a caution and didn't prevent me from using Visual Studio. But somehow it prevented the install of SSDT 2017.

I hope none of y'all have to go through this like I did today at work!

Info that helped solve this:

https://developercommunity.visualstudio.com/content/problem/98172/packageidcpython3exex64packageactiondownloadpackag-1.html

I had the same error 0x800703e9 installing SSDT with the SSRS option checked. After trying some of the previous good suggestions unsuccessfully, including using the /layout option to download the package locally, I found that the Visual Studio installer portion of the package needed a reboot to finish. After the reboot, I was able to run Microsoft.DataTools.ReportingServices.VSIX successfully.

I have a similar problem with different error code, but the same

"Failed to execute EXE package problem".

I tried all the solution above to no avail. But, after creating an installation layout out of SSDT-Setup-ENU.exe and then trying to execute vsta_setup.exe as suggested by Daniel. I get to the underlying error message, it's has something to do with Android NDK believe it or not, and since I'm from Syria, any change to these packages should be done through a VPN connection. So the solution was to run Visual Studio 2017 installation layout, remove all these ugly android packages "Android SDKs and NDKs and even the emulators, yes, a nuclear solution since I don't have a VPN connection", and then run SSDT-Setup-ENU.exe /repair. Everything worked just fine.
I hope this might save someone's time after it wasted mine.

My installation came also with a error. I tried the several things mentioned above, but it didn't help. So I was guessing that it could be the disk space of my VirtualBox VM. I made the C: drive bigger and that was the trick. SSDT requiere: Hard disk space: up to 130 GB of available space, depending on features installed; typical installations require 20-50 GB of free space.

Related