"Updating Python Interpreter" in Pycharm. What does it mean?

Viewed 13728

I notice that the bottom of my Pycharm IDE shows that there are 2 processes running. When I click on it, a panel opens that says my Python interpreter is updating.

Updating Python Interpreter Panel Pycharm

I'm not quite sure what is being updated here: is it Python? conda? Other packages (since there seems to be a few packages e.g. panda, PyQT popping up under the installation bar)?

This leads to my next question: how often will this keep happening, since this updating slows down my Pycharm quite a bit? Also, does it mean that conda packages automatically update? I'd always thought that you have to manually update them in the conda command prompt.

2 Answers

When you change interpreter in pycharm , pycharm first update all of the pre-installed packages. Because time to time many changes comes in packages, Pycharm take care of them.

Pycharm is NOT updating the remote interpreter. See this discussion on the jetbrains feedback site.

In short, the message is badly worded - what's actually happening is downloading remote libraries, which are used for pydoc, method signatures, looking at library code etc...

Related