We're learning about hash tables in my data structures and algorithms class, and I'm having trouble understanding separate chaining.
I know the basic premise: each bucket has a pointer to a Node that contains a key-value pair, and each Node contains a pointer to the next (potential) Node in the current bucket's mini linked list. This is mainly used to handle collisions.
Now, suppose for simplicity that the hash table has 5 buckets. Suppose I wrote the following lines of code in my main after creating an appropriate hash table instance.
myHashTable["rick"] = "Rick Sanchez";
myHashTable["morty"] = "Morty Smith";
Let's imagine whatever hashing function we're using just so happens to produce the same bucket index for both string keys rick and morty. Let's say that bucket index is index 0, for simplicity.
So at index 0 in our hash table, we have two nodes with values of Rick Sanchez and Morty Smith, in whatever order we decide to put them in (the first pointing to the second).
When I want to display the corresponding value for rick, which is Rick Sanchez per our code here, the hashing function will produce the bucket index of 0.
How do I decide which node needs to be returned? Do I loop through the nodes until I find the one whose key matches rick?