JetBrains Rider run with watch

Viewed 5182

When I press run button in Rider (net core) it run the following command:

/usr/local/share/dotnet/dotnet /pathtomyproject/myproject.dll

But I need to run the project with the argument "watch", if I write this command in Rider Edit Configurations's arguments I got error:

Unhandled Exception: System.FormatException: Unrecognized argument format: 'watch'.

I know to run with watch tool is dotnet watch run, and I know too that I can run that command in the terminal.

My question is if I can configure Rider to run this way when I press Run button? or... maybe Rider has an Edit and Continue feature that I don't know?

2 Answers

You can use the "Native Executable" option as a run configuration to make this happen. To do so:

  1. Select Run -> Edit Configuration from the menu options

  2. Click the + icon and select the "Native Executable" option from the list.

  3. In the options that are displayed, provide the following...

    • Name: Watch (or whatever you prefer)
    • Exe path: /usr/local/share/dotnet/dotnet
    • Program Arguments: watch run
    • Working directory: [path to your project where .csproj file resides]
  4. Click "OK" to apply/save the changes.

  5. When ready, select Run -> Run... from the menu options. Select the "Watch" option.

You should see the terminal results build/run the app. If you change your controller file, you'll see the file change detected and the app rebuild.

Related