I am parsing data where precision is not my main concern. I often get java.lang.OutOfMemoryError even if I use maximum Java heap size. So my main concern here is memory usage, and java heap space. Should I use double or float data type?
I am parsing data where precision is not my main concern. I often get java.lang.OutOfMemoryError even if I use maximum Java heap size. So my main concern here is memory usage, and java heap space. Should I use double or float data type?
I consistently get OOM exceptions because I use a great number of ArrayLists with numbers.
Well that is your problem!
An ArrayList of N 32-bit floating point values takes at least1 20 * N bytes in a 32-bit JVM and 24 * N bytes in a 64-bit JVM2.
An ArrayList of N 64-bit floating point values takes the same amount of space3.
The above only accounts for the backing array and the list elements. If you have huge numbers of small ArrayList objects, the overhead of the ArrayList object itself may be significant. (Add 16 or 24 bytes for each ArrayList object`.)
If you make use of dynamic resizing, this may generate object churn as the backing array grows. At some points, the backing array may be as much as twice as large as it needs to be.
By contrast:
An array of 32-bit floating point values takes approximately 4 * N bytes4.
An array of 64-bit floating point values takes approximately 8 * N bytes4.
There is no wastage due to dynamic resizing.
Solutions:
ArrayList<Float> versus ArrayList<Double> makes no difference. It is NOT a solution
For maximal saving, use float[] or double[] depending on your precision requirements. Preallocate the arrays to hold the exact number of elements required.
If you want the flexibility of dynamic resizing there are 3rd-party libraries that implement space efficient lists of primitive types. Alternatively implement your own. However, you won't be able to use the standard List<...> API because that forces you down the path of using Float OR Double.
1 - The actual space used depends on how the ArrayList was created and populated. If you pre-allocate an ArrayList with exactly the correct capacity, you will use the space I said above. If you build the array by repeatedly appending to an ArrayList with the default initial capacity, you will use on average N * 2 bytes extra space for a 32-bit JVM. This is due to the heuristic that ArrayList uses to grow the backing array when it is full.
2 - On a 64-bit JVM, a pointer occupies 8 bytes rather than 4 ... unless you are using compressed oops.
3 - The reason it takes the same amount of bytes is that on a typical JVM a Float and a Double are both 16 bytes due to heap node padding.
4 - There is a header overhead of (typically) 12 bytes per array, and the array's heap node size is padded to a multiple of 8 bytes.
If your memory usage is related to a huge amount (many millions) of floating-point numbers (which can be verified with a decent memory profiler), then you're most probably storing them in some data structures like arrays or lists.
Recommendations (I guess, you are already following most of them...):
float over double if number range and precision are sufficient, as that consumes only half the size.java.lang.Float or java.lang.Double classes for storage, as they hav a considerable memory overhead compared to the naked scalar values.java.util.List, as they store boxed java.lang.Float instances instead of the naked numbers.But above that, have a decent memory profiler show you which instances occupy most of your memory. Maybe there are other memory consumers besides the float/double data.
EDIT:
The OP's recent comment "I consistently get OOM exceptions because I use a great number of ArrayLists with numbers" makes it clear. ArrayList<Float> wastes a lot of memory when compared to float[] (Stephen C gave detailed numbers in his answer), but gives the benefit of dynamic resizing.
So, I see the following possibilities:
float[] arrays.ArrayList<Float> while building one object (when size still increases), and then copy the contents to a float[] array for long-term storage. Then the wasteful ArrayLists exist only for a limited timespan.FloatArrayList class based on a float[] array, resembling the ArrayList<Float> as far as your code needs it (that can range from a very shallow implementation up to a full-featured List, maybe based on AbstractList).