I'm working on a Spring REST controller, specifically on an exception handler. The exception handler works as intended and my JUnit-Test (using the Spring HTTP client) shows that the correct HTTP Status code (400) is received at the client. The HTTP client automatically translates this into a HttpClientErrorException.
However, printing the HttpClientErrorException always produces the following result for me:
HttpClientErrorException: 400 null
... and the null part is what worries me. Shouldn't this be the place where the message of the server-side exception is supposed to be?
I checked the source code of the HTTP client to see where the client-side exception is thrown. It looks like this:
throw new HttpClientErrorException(statusCode, response.getStatusText(), response.getHeaders(), getResponseBody(response), getCharset(response));
Debugging this call revealed that response.getStatusText() is null in my case.
My question is: How do you design your ResponseEntity on the server-side such that the HTTP client finds the server-side exception message in response.getStatusText() instead of null?
Mine currently looks like this:
@ExceptionHandler({ MyCustomException.class })
public ResponseEntity<String> handleException(final HttpServletRequest req, final MyCustomException e) {
HttpHeaders headers = new HttpHeaders();
headers.set("Content-type", "text/plain");
String body = e.toString();
return new ResponseEntity<>(body, headers, HttpStatus.BAD_REQUEST);
}
... and I get null in the client side status text.