git log throws error "cygwin_exception::open_stackdumpfile"

Viewed 1739

I'm learning how to use git by reading this book. However, when I tried to run the git log command, I got the following error message :

5 [main] less 3928 cygwin_exception::open_stackdumpfile: Dumping stack trace to less.exe.stackdump

The numbers 5 and 3928 change every time I try running the command. I'm using the version 2.1.14.1 of Git (64bits) on Windows 10 and I'm executing the command from a cmd console (same problem arises when using PowerShell or Git cmd).

Note : the command git diff generates the same error message.

To try out the log command, I've simply edited a "mytestfile.txt" and added two lines of random text, then I've commited by running the command git commit -a -m my "first commit". And then I tried running the log command with no success.

4 Answers

I faced this issue in windows and found that in my system path there are reference to two directories which contains git.exe file. Like

c:\progra~1\Git\cmd

c:\progra~1\Git\mingw64\bin

I think git by default uses the git.exe which is under Mingw64 directory. So from the system path I removed c:\progra~1\Git\cmd.

Now the git log works just fine as before.

None of the answers helped me. My workaround was to run git inside a Docker container so that I could run the commands I wanted to run.

FROM ubuntu:20.04
RUN apt-get update -y && apt-get install -y git vim && git config --global user.name 'My Name Here' && git config --global user.email 'my.email.here@example.com' && git config --global core.autocrlf false
$ docker build . -t my-temp-git-container:latest
$ docker run --rm -it -v "/$(pwd)"://mapped -w //mapped my-temp-git-container bash
# git commit --amend
Related