Unit testing play controller actions that have json parsers

Viewed 1314

I have a controller action that I would like to test however I am getting the error below. I feel like there is something small that I could be missing but can't quite figure out what it is.I wrote out some small code to help illustrate the problem.

Abit of more context, I would like to be able to supply mock dependencies to the controller thats why I am manaully taking over its instantiation.

java.lang.UnsupportedOperationException: NoMaterializer does not provide an ExecutionContext
[info]   at play.api.test.NoMaterializer$.executionContext(Helpers.scala:661)
[info]   at play.api.mvc.PlayBodyParsers.$anonfun$enforceMaxLength$1(BodyParsers.scala:866)
[info]   at akka.stream.impl.Compose.apply(TraversalBuilder.scala:164)
[info]   at akka.stream.impl.PhasedFusingActorMaterializer.materialize(PhasedFusingActorMaterializer.scala:488)
[info]   at akka.stream.impl.PhasedFusingActorMaterializer.materialize(PhasedFusingActorMaterializer.scala:424)
[info]   at akka.stream.impl.PhasedFusingActorMaterializer.materialize(PhasedFusingActorMaterializer.scala:415)
[info]   at akka.stream.scaladsl.RunnableGraph.run(Flow.scala:496)

Below is the controller I wrote to help illustrate the problem

case class Location(lat: Double, long: Double)

object Location {

  implicit val locationReads: Reads[Location] = (
    (JsPath \ "lat").read[Double](min(-90.0) keepAnd max(90.0)) and
      (JsPath \ "long").read[Double](min(-180.0) keepAnd max(180.0))
    ) (Location.apply _)
}

class HomeController @Inject()(
    cc: ControllerComponents,
    mat: Materializer
)(implicit val ec: ExecutionContext) extends AbstractController(cc) {


  def savePlace: Action[JsValue] = Action(parse.json) { request: Request[JsValue] =>
    val placeResult = request.body.validate[Location]
    placeResult.fold(
      errors => {
        BadRequest(Json.obj("status" -> "KO", "message" -> JsError.toJson(errors)))
      },
      place => {
        Ok(Json.obj("status" -> "OK", "message" -> "Location saved"))
      }
    )
  }
}

and the test code

class HomeControllerSpec extends PlaySpec with Injecting with Inside with GuiceOneAppPerSuite with BeforeAndAfterEach with Results with BeforeAndAfterAll {
  implicit lazy override val app: play.api.Application = new GuiceApplicationBuilder().configure().build()
  implicit lazy val materializer: Materializer = app.materializer
  implicit lazy val components = Helpers.stubControllerComponents()

  "savePlace" must {

    val api = new HomeController(components, mat = materializer)

    val payload = Json.obj(
      "location" -> Json.obj("lat" -> 51.235685, "lng" -> -1.309197)
    )

    "just demo" in {
      val request = FakeRequest(POST, "/location").withJsonBody(payload)

      val result = call(api.savePlace, request)
      status(result) mustBe UNAUTHORIZED
    }
  }
}

I am using play 2.6.3

3 Answers

There are cases when you do not want (or cannot) use dependency injection.

The error comes from the fact that stubControllerComponents has playBodyParsers: PlayBodyParsers = stubPlayBodyParsers(NoMaterializer), so it is enough to change components = ... above to:

implicit lazy val components = Helpers.stubControllerComponents(
    playBodyParsers = stubPlayBodyParsers(materializer)
)
Related