I wrote a program in Python using the quickfix package which connects to a vendor via FIX. We login in the morning, but don't actually send messages through the connection until the end of the day. The issue is, we don't want to keep the program open for the entirety of the day, but would rather relogin in the afternoon when we need to send the messages.
The vendor is requesting we stay logged in for the full duration between our start and stop times specified in our configurations. This is only possible by leaving my program on for the entirety of the day, because if I close it then the messages the vendor sends aren't registered as received by me. I don't send a logout message though.
Is it common practice to write a program to connect via FIX and leave it running for the entire session time? Or is it acceptable to close the program, given I don't send a logout message, and reconnect at a later time in the day?
Any design or best practice advice would be helpful here.