Remote access Jupyter notebook from Windows

Viewed 42572
5 Answers

As an addendum to this answer, this screenshot shows how putty config looks like:

putty for remote Jupyter notebook configuration

On the Linux machine, I then start Jupyter with:

jupyter notebook --no-browser --port=8889

Finally, on the windows (or any remote machine) I enter localhost:8888 in the browser.

It asks for the token, that is provided at the shell of the Linux machine.

--

Note which port refers to which machine, I have the notebook on port 8889, the browser calls it at localhost:8888

I solved this problem by myself. My solution is using Windows Subsystem for Linux (WSL). This offers (virtual?) Linux console like Ubuntu. I just use ssh with -L option on it.

Follow the steps below.

step1- Download putty.
step2- Insert ip address or hostname.
step3- Go to SSH and expand.
step4- Add address of jupyter-notebook to destination column ex: localhost:6666. Add local port such as 8000 to source and press add button. Then connect, it should work.

I wanted to use the VPN Server feature of my cable box to enable remoting into my network, especially to run jupyter notebook. For my situation, probably not quite the same as anyone elses, this works fine.

  1. On the cable box, be sure to enable the VPN Server and enable external access.

  2. On the remote Windows 10 computer, add a PPTP VPN specifying cable box's external IP. Connect to the VPN. Verify you can access the network. e.g. You should be able to see the cable box's webpage.

  3. On the Jupyter serving computer, in Windows Defender Firewall, you need to create a new Inbound Rule for a Port.

    3.1. General-> Enabled, Allow the connection

    3.2. Protocols and Ports-> TCP, 8888

    3.3. Scope-> Private

  4. On the Jupyter serving computer, invoke Jupyter (e.g 192.168.0.1, port 8888):

    jupyter-notebook --ip 192.168.0.1 --port 8888 --no-browser

  5. On the remote computer, you should now be able to access your Jupyter server by browsing to http://192.168.0.8:8888/tree

Related