How to set Google Fonts .xml programmatically to TextView

Viewed 6675

Since with Android Studio 3.0, you can simply integrate google fonts to your project (See android walkthrough).

When you add some font, Android Studio generates you the font folder including XML file for the font (in my case amatic_sc.xml). Also Studio create a preloaded_fonts.xml in value folder.

amatic_sc.xml:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<font-family xmlns:app="http://schemas.android.com/apk/res-auto"
        app:fontProviderAuthority="com.google.android.gms.fonts"
        app:fontProviderPackage="com.google.android.gms"
        app:fontProviderQuery="Amatic SC"
        app:fontProviderCerts="@array/com_google_android_gms_fonts_certs">
</font-family>

preloaded_fonts.xml:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<resources>
    <array name="preloaded_fonts" translatable="false">
        <item>@font/amatic_sc</item>
    </array>
</resources>

When I'm include the following line static into my xml file, it works fine:

android:fontFamily="@font/amatic_sc"

But in my case I need to set the font family programmatically in my custom listAdapter. I tried following code exemples, but nothing works:

// Display text with default fontFamily
viewHolder.textView.setTypeface(Typeface.create("@font/amatic_sc", Typeface.NORMAL));

// both throws java.lang.RuntimeException: Font asset not found [../res/]font/amatic_sc.xml
viewHolder.textView.setTypeface(Typeface.createFromAsset(context.getAssets(), "font/amatic_sc.xml"));
viewHolder.textView.setTypeface(Typeface.createFromAsset(context.getAssets(), "../res/font/amatic_sc.xml"));

// both throws java.lang.RuntimeException: Font asset not found [../res/]font/amatic_sc.xml
viewHolder.textView.setTypeface(Typeface.createFromFile("font/amatic_sc.xml"));
viewHolder.textView.setTypeface(Typeface.createFromFile("../res/font/amatic_sc.xml"));

In my case, I use min SDK version 16 and I hope my code snippet is sufficient.

Thanks for the help!

2 Answers
Related