Using dplyr to filter rows which contain partial string of column

Viewed 11585

Assuming I have a data frame like

term     cnt
apple     10
apples     5
a apple on 3
blue pears 3
pears      1

How could I filter all partial found strings within this column, e.g. getting as a result

term     cnt
apple     10
pears      1

without indicating to which terms I want to filter (apple|pears), but through a self-referencing manner (i.e. it does check each term against the whole column and removes terms that are a partial match). The number of tokens is not limited, nor the consistency of strings (i.e. "mapples" would get matched by "apple"). This would result in an inverted generalized dplyr-based version of

d[grep("^apple$|^pears$", d$term), ]

Additionally, it would be interesting use this departialisation to get a cumulated sum, e.g.

term     cnt
apple     18
pears      4

I couldn't get it to work with contains() or grep().

Thanks

3 Answers
Related