How to install Debugging Tools with Visual Studio 2017 installer?

Viewed 14480

I need cdb.exe as a debugger for QT Creator. I know that cdb is available as a part of Windows SDK, but is not installed when I install Windows SDK through Visual Studio 2017 installer.

On the other hand, if I install Windows SDK standalone (available here), I can select "Debugging Tools", and finally I get the expected folder Debuggers in Windows kits, that contains cdb.

How can I get cdb during Visual Studio install?

3 Answers

As you noticed, Visual Studio does not allow you to set any options when installing the SDK. However, after the SDK is installed, all you need to do is finding it in "Apps & features" and selecting "Modify". That will present you the options dialog where you can check "Debugging Tools for Windows¨. For me (SDK 10.0.17134.12) it creates the file

c:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Kits\10\Debuggers\x64\cdb.exe

that I set as debugger in Qt Creator. I use it to debug 32bit applications built with msvc2008 express.

Conio already answered, but I'll add a more detailed description for Windows 10. Go to "Apps & Features", search for "Windows Software Development Kit", click on "change" (in the picture "Ändern"), click "change" again, then select "Debugging Tools for Windows". enter image description here enter image description here enter image description here

Related