win32 raw keyboard input remove autorepeat

Viewed 1615

So the problem at hand is pretty much the following: Windows key repeat settings affecting Raw Input messages

Although this might be a duplicate then, there is no answer provided, so here it goes:

  1. I am under the impression that e.g. for FPS game development, one should use raw input. The problem then however, is that the input is not so raw after all and includes a delay (for a continuous keydown) and only after that initial delay a continuous key press, that is continuous flow of WM_INPUT messages. When using DirectInput (which is deprecated), I do not have those problems. Is there a way to achieve the same thing using only raw input? To be clear, what I want is that, if I press a key continuously, I continuously get WM_INPUT messages without the initial delay caused by autorepeat. I am using the raw input standard read, not the buffered one (https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/ms645546(v=vs.85).aspx)

  2. Where is the difference between the aforementioned standard raw input reading and the buffered one?

1 Answers
Related