SmartCard reader "Access denied" while claiming interface with Webusb on chrome

Viewed 6879

I am developing a javascript library to perform smart card operations using the CCID protocol over chrome webusb API. Everything goes well when I plug the smart card reader on Linux and MacOS, however I get stuck on windows when I try to claim the interface. I tried to run chrome as an administrator, disable smart card services / CCID drivers on windows in case those were claiming the interface, but nothing does it. I keep having the "Failed to claim interface: Access denied (insufficient permissions)" message. Is it really a permission problem ? Or is it some windows service I am not aware of blocking the access ?

Edit: I tried on another mac, on which the reader didn't work. After removing the specific vendor id / product id from the CCID driver info.plist, I managed to make it work. So I suppose the same problem is happening on windows, a CCID driver is "blocking" the access interface. What are my alternatives ?

The device descriptor:

Device Descriptor:
  bLength                18
  bDescriptorType         1
  bcdUSB               1.10
  bDeviceClass            0 (Defined at Interface level)
  bDeviceSubClass         0 
  bDeviceProtocol         0 
  bMaxPacketSize0         8
  idVendor           0x1a44 VASCO Data Security International
  idProduct          0x0001 Digipass 905 SmartCard Reader
  bcdDevice            1.02
  iManufacturer           1 VASCO
  iProduct                2 DP905v1.1
  iSerial                 0 
  bNumConfigurations      1
  Configuration Descriptor:
    bLength                 9
    bDescriptorType         2
    wTotalLength           93
    bNumInterfaces          1
    bConfigurationValue     1
iConfiguration          0 
    bmAttributes         0x80
  (Bus Powered)
MaxPower               50mA
Interface Descriptor:
  bLength                 9
  bDescriptorType         4
  bInterfaceNumber        0
  bAlternateSetting       0
  bNumEndpoints           3
  bInterfaceClass        11 Chip/SmartCard
  bInterfaceSubClass      0 
  bInterfaceProtocol      0 
  iInterface              0 
  ChipCard Interface Descriptor:
    bLength                54
    bDescriptorType        33
    bcdCCID              1.00
    nMaxSlotIndex           0
    bVoltageSupport         3  5.0V 3.0V 
    dwProtocols             3  T=0 T=1
    dwDefaultClock       3700
    dwMaxiumumClock      3700
    bNumClockSupported      1
    dwDataRate           9946 bps
    dwMaxDataRate      318280 bps
    bNumDataRatesSupp.     53
    dwMaxIFSD             254
    dwSyncProtocols  00000007  2-wire 3-wire I2C
    dwMechanical     00000000 
    dwFeatures       000404BE
      Auto configuration based on ATR
      Auto activation on insert
      Auto voltage selection
      Auto clock change
      Auto baud rate change
      Auto PPS made by CCID
      Auto IFSD exchange
      Short and extended APDU level exchange
    dwMaxCCIDMsgLen       272
    bClassGetResponse    echo
    bClassEnvelope       echo
    wlcdLayout           none
    bPINSupport             0 
    bMaxCCIDBusySlots       1
  Endpoint Descriptor:
    bLength                 7
    bDescriptorType         5
    bEndpointAddress     0x81  EP 1 IN
    bmAttributes            3
      Transfer Type            Interrupt
      Synch Type               None
      Usage Type               Data
    wMaxPacketSize     0x0004  1x 4 bytes
    bInterval              32
  Endpoint Descriptor:
    bLength                 7
    bDescriptorType         5
    bEndpointAddress     0x02  EP 2 OUT
    bmAttributes            2
      Transfer Type            Bulk
      Synch Type               None
      Usage Type               Data
    wMaxPacketSize     0x0010  1x 16 bytes
    bInterval               0
  Endpoint Descriptor:
    bLength                 7
    bDescriptorType         5
    bEndpointAddress     0x83  EP 3 IN
    bmAttributes            2
      Transfer Type            Bulk
      Synch Type               None
      Usage Type               Data
    wMaxPacketSize     0x0010  1x 16 bytes
    bInterval               0
2 Answers
Related