Tkinter command for button not working

Viewed 17088

I'm trying to make my program change the text based on a variable selected in the dropdown menu, but the button to activate the command doesn't seem to be working. From what I can see, the select function run's once the program is loaded and then never again, regardless of when I click the button.

from Tkinter import *

class App:

    def __init__(self, root):
        self.title = Label(root, text="Choose a food: ",
                           justify = LEFT, padx = 20).pack()
        self.label = Label(root, text = "Please select a food.")
        self.label.pack()

        self.var = StringVar()
        self.var.set("Apple")
        food = ["Apple", "Banana", "Pear"]
        option = apply(OptionMenu, (root, self.var) + tuple(food))
        option.pack()

        button = Button(root, text = "Choose", command=self.select())
        button.pack()

    def select(self):
        selection = "You selected the food: " + self.var.get()
        print(self.var.get()) #debug message
        self.label.config(text = selection)

if __name__ == '__main__':
    root = Tk()
    app = App(root)
    root.mainloop()

I'm a beginner on Tkinter, and I'm trying to figure out the basics before I go into making my full app. Thanks in advance :)

3 Answers
Related