Decompose microservices: Business capability vs Domain

Viewed 10899

As I read, there are two patterns to define one microservice, by business capability and by subdomain. But I still find it very ambiguous. I get confused how these two patterns differentiate from each other. Both of them revolve around activities involving an area of business logic. All of components in each service are small enough to get packaged with each other without affecting other services. Could anyone please give me a further explanation about these two?

2 Answers

Business Capabilities do not reflect 1-to-1 the organisational structure. The represent what the business does (what capabilities it has) without specifying how they will be implemented. The organisational structure is part of the "how" / implementation.

If your business capability map is structured according to your organisational structure, then this should be evaluated more closely, unless of course, you create the business capability map first and then changed the organisational structure accordingly.

I've dealt with both Domains and Business Capabilities. They are essentially the same, depending on the level at which you are working.

Related