My programming partner and I, being fairly new to Git and Gitkraken, made some mistakes, did some pushes pulls and commits in the wrong order, and got things fairly bungled up. I would like to go get a snapshot from several commits back, and manually compare it to the current state of the code. A command along the lines of
"Take the working directory state to this historic commit" or better yet, "give me the contents of this historic commit into a different working directory, which I will name"
The options given to me don't look that way, exactly. I see "reset master to this commit" in several flavors, but none of those titles convince me that I'm going to get to look at the previous state without damaging the path back to the current state. Am I missing something? What is the best way to do what I'm trying to do?