How do I retarget a VS2017 solution in VS2015?

Viewed 31889

MSB8020 The build tools for v141 (Platform Toolset = 'v141') cannot be found. To build using the v141 build tools, please install v141 build tools. Alternatively, you may upgrade to the current Visual Studio tools by selecting the Project menu or right-click the solution, and then selecting "Retarget solution".

I have been working on a project in VS2017 at home, but the school computer uses VS2015. How do I retarget my solution to an older version?

I have checked the Project menu and right-clicked on both the solution and the separate projects in the solution explorer, but there is no 'Retarget solution' option.

3 Answers

If you have many projects within solution and there is no Retarget solution retargeting each one may be tedious, if you want to retarget them all at once when then:

  1. Open Property manager from View menu.

  2. In property manager use SHIFT + left click to select all projects at once.

  3. Right click anywhere on the highlighted area and select Properties

  4. In property pages that appear select All configurations and All platforms from 2 drop down lists at the top.

  5. Under Configuration properties -> general set Platform toolset to desired toolset and click OK

Related