How to burn a binary file to sector 0 of a floppy disk inserted via a floppy usb on windows 10 pro 64 bit

Viewed 737

Hello guys I am writing an operating system in Assembly 16 bit NASM windows 10 64 bit (to be specific) and compiled it to 2 binary .bin files:
kernel.bin
boot.bin
as you may guess boot.bin loads kernel.bin and makes a filesystem, thats all ok. but the problem is that I need to test it on a real machine to test how the hardware reacts instead of only virtual! so I got floppys (3.5" 1.44MB) it is more than enough but I tried to write the bootloader (boot.bin) to sector 0 of a floppy with a floppy-usb-drive (drive and floppys are working how they should!) I use the following steps for putting the OS on a floppy in cmd:

format A:
nasm -f bin kernel.asm -o KERNEL.BIN` 
copy KERNEL.BIN A:\KERNEL.BIN  
debug boot.bin  
w 100 0 0 1  
q

it boots... but not correct: it says this:

Please remove all media... press any key to reboot...`

and it reboots to windows 10

QUESTION

how can I fix this? I now use dosbox and debug.exe in dosbox (debug.exe from windows 7 x32), like: I copy the kernel and burn the loader but it actually WORKS! and loads my OS!

1 Answers
Related