Does Azure SQL Data Warehouse have a way to split strings?

Viewed 3100

Doing some research, I see that there are no good options to split strings in Azure SQL Data Warehouse. It doesn't have the new STRING_SPLIT() function or OPENJSON() function. It also doesn't allow SELECT statements in user defined functions to try and create your own like many of the custom splitter functions the community has made.

Thus, I figured I would pose the questions: Does SQL Data Warehouse have ways to split strings and what are the best options to take here?

Use Case

You have a field in a SQL table with the value, "My_Value_Is_Good". The objective is to split out each segment into separate fields using the delimiter underscore in either a SELECT statement or at most, written to a new table.

Solutions I've Used

The main one for me is just transforming the data before it lands in the data warehouse. I do this using Python to parse out the data. However, bigger datasets do slow this down and isolate this more to specific records once in the system too.

1 Answers
Related