Unsupported This version of Visual Studio is unable to open the following projects

Viewed 66078

I'm getting error like this after updating sql server to 2016. I have opened the project in VS2015 & while rebuilding Database project I'm getting error like below:

Unsupported This version of Visual Studio is unable to open the following projects. The project types may not be installed or this version of Visual Studio may not support them. For more information on enabling these project types or otherwise migrating your assets, please see the details in the "Migration Report" displayed after clicking OK.enter image description here

3 Answers

I got the same error when opening Old (VS2015) project on Visual Studio 2017

These actions solved my problem:

  • Install the latest version of SSDT
  • Open Visual Studio 2017: Go to: Tools > Extensions And Updates > Search: Microsoft Integration Services Projects > Click: Enable
  • In SSIS Project On Solution: Right Click > Reload Project

I got the same error when opening old projects in Visual Studio 2019.

These actions solved my problem:

Open Visual Studio 2019 and go to Tools > Extensions > Download to download these three tools:

  1. SQL Server Integration Services Project
  2. Microsoft reporting service project
  3. Microsoft analysis service project

Close VS and update package, then restart VS by double-click an old .sln file.

  • Uninstall all SQL Data Tools from Programs and Features
  • Uninstall Analysis Services and Reporting Services
  • Install SSDT for Visual Studio from Microsoft website
  • Right click Visual Studio solution file and 'Open With' MS Visual Studio 2017
  • Right click and choose 'Reload Project'
Related