Is it possible to generate a JavaFX TreeItem's children dynamically based on a function?

Viewed 655

Intro:

I am currently working on my first TreeView in JavaFX.

The example given in the documentation is the following:

 TreeItem<String> root = new TreeItem<String>("Root Node");
 root.setExpanded(true);
 root.getChildren().addAll(
     new TreeItem<String>("Item 1"),
     new TreeItem<String>("Item 2"),
     new TreeItem<String>("Item 3")
 );
 TreeView<String> treeView = new TreeView<String>(root);

In this example, we build the TreeItem tree structure manually, i.e., calling getChildren() on every node that has children and adding these.

Question:

Is it possible to tell a TreeItem to "dynamically" build its children? It would be perfect if I could define the parent-child-relationship as a function.

I would be looking for something like the following:

// Function that generates the child tree items for a given tree item
Function<TreeItem<MyData>, List<TreeItem<MyData>>> childFunction = parent -> {
  List<TreeItem<MyData>> children = new ArrayList<>(
    parent.                                                    // TreeItem<MyData>
      getValue().                                              // MyData
      getChildrenInMyData().                                   // List<MyData>
      stream().
      map(myDataChild -> new TreeItem<MyData>(myDataChild)))); // List<TreeItem<MyData>>
  // The children should use the same child function
  children.stream().forEach(treeItem -> treeItem.setChildFunction(childFunction));
  return children;
};

TreeItem<MyData> root = new TreeItem<MyData>(myRootData);
root.setExpanded(true);
// THE IMPORTANT LINE:
// Instead of setting the children via .getChildren().addAll(...) I would like to set a "child function"
root.setChildFunction(childFunction);  
TreeView<MyData> treeView = new TreeView<String>(root);
1 Answers
Related