Sending Array Pointer/Reference to Template

Viewed 103

I wrote a simple program that sends array array[] to a function named ARRAY_MAN, which then modifies the array's contents:

#include <vector>
#include <iostream>

template <class Var, class T, std::size_t N, class... Args>
void ARRAY_MAN(Var variable, T(&)[N], uint32_t numParams, Args... args)
{
    std::vector<T> arguments{args...};

    if(arguments.size() != numParams)
        throw std::runtime_error("mismatch");

    for(uint32_t i = 0; i < numParams; ++i)
        variable[i] = arguments[i];
}


int main(int argc, char* argv[])
{
    int array[] = {1,2,3}; // (*)

    // print array before sending
    for(uint32_t i = 0; i < 3; ++i)
        std::cout << array[i] << " ";
    std::cout << std::endl;

    ARRAY_MAN(array, array, 3, 34, 56, 10);

    // print array after sending
    for(uint32_t i = 0; i < 3; ++i)
        std::cout << array[i] << " ";
    std::cout << std::endl;

    return 0;
}

This compiles and runs. But if I replace the line marked (*) with this line:

int *array = new int(3);

I get this error:

no matching function for call to ‘ARRAY_MAN(int*&, int*&, int, int, int, int)’

How can I send this second array to the ARRAY_MAN function?

1 Answers
Related