I'm unable to get npm installed correctly in my laravel project. I'm running laravel on a vagrant box (ubuntu-trusty-64). When I run 'npm install' I get the first error in my pastebin (linked below). I then found somewhere below that I should run it without symlinks when using a vagrant box on a windows host os so I then ran 'npm install --no-bin-links' and I was still getting the first error. So then with some help I ran 'rm -rf node_modules' then ran the 'npm install --no-bin-links' and it appears to work but hangs see second half of the pastebin.
Please help!
pastebin: https://pastebin.com/wuRkjqi6
Update:
Just to update everyone on the status, I completely removed npm and reinstalled it following:
https://nodejs.org/en/download/package-manager/#debian-and-ubuntu-based-linux-distributions
for node.js 8
I then ran 'sudo npm install --no-bin-links --verbose' directly from the host vm via virtualbox bypassing the vagrant ssh; but it still bombs out on me; this time with an error. but still surrounding fsevents.
27990 info lifecycle vue@2.4.2~postinstall: vue@2.4.2
27991 verbose unlock done using /home/vagrant/.npm/_locks/staging-71408633a969dee2.lock for /home/vagrant/projects/MusekClub/node_modules/.staging
27992 verbose stack Error: ETXTBSY: text file is busy, rmdir '/home/vagrant/projects/MusekClub/node_modules/fsevents/node_modules'
27993 verbose cwd /home/vagrant/projects/MusekClub
27994 verbose Linux 3.13.0-125-generic
27995 verbose argv "/usr/bin/nodejs" "/usr/bin/npm" "install" "--no-bin-links" "--verbose"
27996 verbose node v8.2.1
27997 verbose npm v5.3.0
27998 error path /home/vagrant/projects/MusekClub/node_modules/fsevents/node_modules
27999 error code ETXTBSY
28000 error errno -26
28001 error syscall rmdir
28002 error ETXTBSY: text file is busy, rmdir '/home/vagrant/projects/MusekClub/node_modules/fsevents/node_modules'
28003 verbose exit [ -26, true ]
Lastly I tried rebuilding the vagrant box from scratch this morning and when I re-ran 'sudo npm install --no-bin-links --verbose' from the virtualbox host I get the following:
vagrant@vagrant-ubuntu-trusty-64:~/projects/MusekClub$ sudo npm install
npm ERR! path /home/vagrant/projects/MusekClub/node_modules/fsevents/build/Release/.deps/User/eshanker/Code/fsevents/lib
npm ERR! code ETXTBSY
npm ERR! errno -26
npm ERR! syscall rmdir
npm ERR! ETXTBSY: text file is busy, rmdir '/home/vagrant/projects/MusekClub/node_modules/fsevents/build/Release/.deps/Users/eshanker/Code/fsevents/lib'
npm ERR! A complete log of this run can be found in:
npm ERR! /home/vagrant/.npm/_logs/2017-08-09T12_45_58_590Z-debug.log
I removed the standard dependencies from the default laravel 5.4 package.json file. I then installed each one, one by one. I found that my issue only occurs when installing the "laravel-mix": "^1.0" dependency line.