Visual Studio 2017 HRESULT: 0x80004004

Viewed 4749

I was perfectly running an ASP.NET Core project in a docker container, but then I created another project in the same solution, which was referenced by the first one.
When building, VS 2017 didn't complain. When debugging, VS says:
"Operation aborted (Exception from HRESULT: 0x80004004 (E_ABORT))"
Then I tried creating a new solution with new project (Only one this time). Same thing happened: Build successfull, debugging - impossible. Restarting computer did't work, neither VS with admin privilages.

How can I fix that? I am ready to screw the whole project and start all over, if needed. I appriciate any response. Thanks in advance.

4 Answers

The root problem that caused this error for me was that I was originally running Windows 10 Home Edition and some residual settings from that were causing the error.

Solution:

  1. Uninstall Docker for Windows
  2. Uninstall all versions of Visual Studio
  3. Delete all settings folders for Visual Studio in %UserProfile%, %ProgramData%, and %AppData%
  4. Upgrade to Windows 10 Pro (Windows Button >> Settings >> Update & Security >> Activation >> Change product key and enter a Windows 10 Pro key if you own one OR purchase an upgrade to Windows 10 Pro with the instructions on the same screen)
  5. Install Visual Studio 2017 Professional
  6. Install Docker for Windows

Summary:

Even though I upgraded to Windows 10 Pro, enabled Hyper-V and containers, and installed Docker for Windows, Visual Studio 2017 still thought I was on Windows 10 Home and my docker project wouldn't build or load. With some tweaks I still got the error mentioned in the question. Following the steps above I was able to solve the problem.

Related