I am playing around convolutional neural networks at home with tensorflow (btw I have done the udacity deep learning course, so I have the theory basis). What impact has the size of the patch when one runs a convolution? does such size have to change when the image is bigger/smaller?
One of the exercises I did involved the CIFAR-10 databaese of images (32x32 px), then I used convolutions of 3x3 (with a padding of 1), getting decent results.
But lets say now I want to play with images larger than that (say 100x100), should I make my patches bigger? Do I keep them 3x3? Furthermore, what would be the impact of making a patch really big? (Say 50x50).
Normally I would test this at home directly, but running this on my computer is a bit slow (no nvidia GPU!)
So the question should be summarized as
- Should I increase/decrease the size of my patches when my input images are bigger/smaller?
- What is the impact (in terms of performance/overfitting) of increasing/decreasing my path size?