RTSP 1.0 vs. RTSP 2.0

Viewed 2405

The Real-Time Streaming Protocol (RTSP) Version 1.0 was published as RFC 2326 in 1998.

Now nearly 20 years later Version 2.0 was published as RFC 7826 in December 2016.

I am wondering whether the changes affect the performance of live streaming using RTSP (over the Real-Time Transport Protocol (RTP)).

I know that RTSP is not used to send the real-time data, but used for session establishment and controlling mechanisms like playing, pausing or stoping the stream. So I guess the changes don't have an affect on the end-to-end latency between sender and receiver?

But in the changes it states for example

request pipelining for quick session start-up;

So my question: Is there an measurable impact on the performance regarding the introduced changes?

For example:

  • session start-up time (time till the stream starts playing)
  • end-to-end latency
  • RTSP traffic amount
  • ...
1 Answers
Related