How to read values from a table in a word doc using C#

Viewed 6523

I'm trying to connect to a Microsoft word document (.docx) to read values from tables located in the .docx. I'm using Open-XML SDK 2.0 to make the connection to the .docx file. So far after looking for examples and ideas, I have this,

public static string TextFromWord(string file)
{
  const string wordmlNamespace = "http://schemas.openxmlformats.org/wordprocessingml/2006/main";

    StringBuilder textBuilder = new StringBuilder();
    using (WordprocessingDocument wDoc = WordprocessingDocument.Open(filename,false))
      {
          //Manage namespaces to perform Xpath queries
          NameTable nt = new NameTable();
          XmlNamespaceManager nsManger = new XmlNamespaceManger(nt);
          nsManager.AddNamespace("w", wordmlNamespace);

          //Get the document part from the package.
          //Load the XML in the document part into an XmlDocument instance.
          XmlDocument xdoc = new XmlDocument(nt);
          xdoc.Load(wdDoc.MainDocumentPart.GetStream());

          XmlNodeList paragraphNodes = xdoc.SelectNodes("//w:p", nsManager);
          foreach (XmlNode paragraphNode in paragraphNodes)
          {
            XmlNodeList textNodes = paragraphNode.SelectNodes(".//w:t", nsmanager);
            foreach (System.Xml.XmlNode textNode in textNodes)
            {
              textBuilder.Append(textNode.InnerText);
            }
            textBuilder.Append(Environment.NewLine);
          }

         }
      return textBuilder.ToString();
}

The code works when there is just text in the .docx but fails when the text is in tables. Is there a way to fix this so it can work with tables in a .docx?

1 Answers
Related