How to make a screen wake up when a notification is received?

Viewed 17358

For my app I'm trying to get it where the notification wakes up the screen and displays a view from the app. I can't figure how to get the app to wake up when its in a lock screen. I've tried a few things but none seem to work or they crash the app.

4 Answers

There is my solution:

createNotification(); //your implementation
PowerManager pm = (PowerManager) context.getSystemService(Context.POWER_SERVICE);
boolean isScreenOn = Build.VERSION.SDK_INT >= 20 ? pm.isInteractive() : pm.isScreenOn(); // check if screen is on
if (!isScreenOn) {
    PowerManager.WakeLock wl = pm.newWakeLock(PowerManager.SCREEN_DIM_WAKE_LOCK | PowerManager.ACQUIRE_CAUSES_WAKEUP, "myApp:notificationLock");
    wl.acquire(3000); //set your time in milliseconds
}

More at PowerManager

I faced a similar situation. It was required to show a notification screen for the user to accept or reject the notification, even when the screen is off. I fumbled with it for a while until now. The requirements demand the screen should be on and this can be achieved with a combination of flags for the window manager and the wake lock as shown below.

@Override
protected void onCreate(Bundle savedInstanceState) {
    super.onCreate(savedInstanceState);
    PowerManager pm = (PowerManager) this.getSystemService(Context.POWER_SERVICE);
    boolean isScreenOn = pm.isScreenOn();
    int flags = PowerManager.FULL_WAKE_LOCK
            | PowerManager.ACQUIRE_CAUSES_WAKEUP
            | PowerManager.ON_AFTER_RELEASE;
    if (!isScreenOn) {
        wakeLock = pm.newWakeLock(flags, "my_app:full_lock");
        wakeLock.acquire(20000);
    }

    setContentView(R.layout.activity_incoming_request);
    
    getWindow().addFlags(WindowManager.LayoutParams.FLAG_SHOW_WHEN_LOCKED |
            WindowManager.LayoutParams.FLAG_KEEP_SCREEN_ON |
            WindowManager.LayoutParams.FLAG_TURN_SCREEN_ON |
            WindowManager.LayoutParams.FLAG_DISMISS_KEYGUARD |
            WindowManager.LayoutParams.FLAG_ALLOW_LOCK_WHILE_SCREEN_ON);
    ...
    startRingingPhone();
}

This code block will display the activity on the lock screen.

Put below code before notification creates,

PowerManager powerManager = (PowerManager) context.getSystemService(context.POWER_SERVICE);
    PowerManager.WakeLock  wakeLock = powerManager.newWakeLock(PowerManager.FULL_WAKE_LOCK |
            PowerManager.ACQUIRE_CAUSES_WAKEUP |
            PowerManager.ON_AFTER_RELEASE, "appname::WakeLock");

//acquire will turn on the display
wakeLock.acquire(1*60*1000L);

And make sure to set this permission in the manifest :

<uses-permission android:name="android.permission.WAKE_LOCK"/>
Related