How to troubleshoot a url error with "Port number ended with 'y'"?

Viewed 47586

While trying to clone an already existing repository from gitlab into my local drive. I used the format

$ git clone https://github.com/libgit2/libgit2  mylibgit 

The resulting folder e.g mylibgit was found somewhere outside the XAMPP web folder (i.e htdocs), I moved it there but it's not working as supposed.

I moved it out to my desktop and got the error :

fatal: unable to access 'https://git@gitlab.com:xxxxx/yyyyyy/':Port number ended with 'y'
5 Answers

Gitlab actually requires a user when using deploy tokens. For me, this was caused by mixing in ssh syntax as http://<user>:<pass>@gitlab.com:repo instead of gitlab.com/repo.

if you change your remote from using ssh to https and accidentally leave a colon in the string - you will a message like this. It's a confusing message, but it makes sense once you understand the source of the problem.

Related