Selenium working with Chrome, but not headless Chrome

Viewed 23897

I've developed a couple of Python scripts using Selenium and, at first, PhantomJS. While heading toward automated downloads, I switched for (headed) Firefox (which worked) and then Chrome with the headless option so I won't have the browser opening in front of me.

My first script, which accesses a page and a couple of HTML elements, works perfectly with headless Chrome.

The second one, however, works only with headed Chrome. If I add the "headless" option, it doesn't work anymore. When I try to print the HTML in headless mode to see why it cannot find the HTML element I'm looking for, all I have is :

<html xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml"><head></head><body></body></html>

With the headed Chrome, I have a complete HTML printed. This is how I start my headless Chrome :

options = webdriver.ChromeOptions()
options.add_argument("--ignore-certificate-errors") 
options.add_argument("headless") 
driver = webdriver.Chrome(chrome_options=options)

Again, note that this works in another of my script. The only difference here is that I need to log in to access the page, but even then, why would it work with the head? My script is made to log in automatically anyway by filling the form.

Python : 3.6.1, Chrome : 60.0.3112.78 (64 bits), Selenium : 3.4.3

Any idea? Thanks.

** EDIT: Here is the beginning of the code**

url = 'https://10.11.227.21/tmui/'
driver.get(url + "login.jsp")

html_source = driver.page_source
print(html_source)

blocStatus = WebDriverWait(driver, TIMEOUT).until(EC.presence_of_element_located((By.ID, "username")))
inputElement = driver.find_element_by_id("username")
inputElement.send_keys('actualLogin')
inputElement = driver.find_element_by_id("passwd")
inputElement.send_keys('actualPassword')
inputElement.submit()
7 Answers

Headless Chrome does not support insecure certificates and hence, websites with insecure certificates does not open living it blank. You need to add capabilities as follow:

from selenium import webdriver
from selenium.webdriver import DesiredCapabilities
from selenium.webdriver.chrome.options import Options

chrome_options = Options()
chrome_options.add_argument("--headless")

capabilities = DesiredCapabilities.CHROME.copy()
capabilities['acceptSslCerts'] = True 
capabilities['acceptInsecureCerts'] = True

driver = webdriver.Chrome(chrome_options = chrome_options,executable_path='your path',desired_capabilities=capabilities)
driver.get("yourWebsite")

This will do the work.

I had the same issue and setting the window size in conftest.py solved it. My code snippet:

@pytest.fixture
def chrome_options(chrome_options, pytestconfig):
    if pytestconfig.getoption('headless'):
        chrome_options.add_argument('--headless')
        chrome_options.add_argument("window-size=1920,1080")
    else:
        chrome_options.add_argument("start-maximized");
    return chrome_options

For some if you remove the below, it would work.

driver.fullscreen_window()

refer https://github.com/SeleniumHQ/selenium/issues/4477 add below code

self.chrome_options = webdriver.ChromeOptions()
self.chrome_options.add_argument("--window-size=1920,1080")
self.chrome_options.add_argument("--disable-extensions")
self.chrome_options.add_argument("--proxy-server='direct://'")
self.chrome_options.add_argument("--proxy-bypass-list=*")
self.chrome_options.add_argument("--start-maximized")
self.chrome_options.add_argument('--headless')
self.chrome_options.add_argument('--disable-gpu')
self.chrome_options.add_argument('--disable-dev-shm-usage')
self.chrome_options.add_argument('--no-sandbox')
self.chrome_options.add_argument('--ignore-certificate-errors')
self.browser = webdriver.Chrome(options=self.chrome_options)

For my situation, headless did not work because I was behind a proxy. Apparently, Chrome is able to use the system proxy, but headless does not use the system proxy.

I simply needed to provide the proxy, then headless (as well as Chrome) worked.

options.add_argument('--proxy-server=http://myproxy:port')
Related