Cross browser extension development framewok

Viewed 2035


I was evaluating the development of a cross browser extension (supported browsers IE, Chrome, Safari and Firefox): I was looking for a cross-browser development framework, in order to avoid the code duplication and to fasten the building process.
I had a look at this question, and I visited the suggested websites: every company seems to have stopped working on the product.
I read this article too, whose conclusion seems to dissuade developer from the building of a cross browser extension.
So, I have a few questions:
- Does anyone of you recommend a cross browser extension development framework, which is suitable for the purpose I described above?
- Is there a reason why the above frameworks are not maintained anymore?
- Does anyone discovered a more efficient way to pursue the same aim without developing a browser extension?

Thanks so much,
Daniele

2 Answers

You can take a look at Plasmo. It's by their words:

The Plasmo Framework is a battery-packed browser extension SDK made by hackers for hackers. Build your product and stop worrying about config files and the odd peculiarities of building browser extensions.

Even it's in early development stage, it has features like:

  • First-class React and TypeScript support
  • Hot reload
  • Support of .env files
  • Automated deployment
Related