How to write Haskell-do-notation in Scala

Viewed 423

I wrote the following Haskell code using do-nation.

And I'd like to convert it to Scala code

main :: IO ()
main = do
  print $ func1 (Right  1) (Right 2)
  print $ func1 (Right 10) (Right 3)


func1 :: Either String Int -> Either String Int -> Either String Double
func1 e1 e2 = do
  v1 <- e1
  v2 <- e2
  if v1 < v2
    then Right 1.515151  -- No meaning
    else Left  "some error"

Here is output of Haskell

Right 1.515151
Left "some error"

I wrote Scala code like the following. But I feel weird when I look at result <- if(v1 < v2)... and yield result.

object Main {
  def main(args: Array[String]): Unit = {
    println(func1(Right(1))(Right(2)))
    println(func1(Right(10))(Right(3)))
  }

  def func1(e1: Either[String, Int])(e2: Either[String, Int]): Either[String, Double] =
    for{
      v1 <- e1
      v2 <- e2

      // Weird...
      result <- if(v1 < v2)
                  Right(1.515151)
                else
                  Left("some error")
    } yield result
}

Here is output of Scala

Right(1.515151)
Left(some error)

I'd like to write bellow. But Scala doesn't allow me to write.

  // Invalid Scala Code
  def func1(e1: Either[String, Int])(e2: Either[String, Int]): Either[String, Double] =
    for{
      v1 <- e1
      v2 <- e2
    } {
      if(v1 < v2)
          Right(1.515151)
        else
          Left("some error")
    }

Could you tell me your idea for writing in beautiful way?

2 Answers
Related