Python: json_normalize a pandas series gives TypeError

Viewed 14248

I have tens of thousands rows of json snippets like this in a pandas series df["json"]

[{
    'IDs': [{
        'lotId': '1',
        'Id': '123456'
    }],
    'date': '2009-04-17',
    'bidsCount': 2,
}, {
    'IDs': [{
        'lotId': '2',
        'Id': '123456'
    }],
    'date': '2009-04-17',
    'bidsCount': 4,
}, {
    'IDs': [{
         'lotId': '3',
         'Id': '123456'
    }],
    'date': '2009-04-17',
    'bidsCount': 8,
}]

Sample of the original file:

{"type": "OPEN","title": "rainbow","json": [{"IDs": [{"lotId": "1","Id": "123456"}],"date": "2009-04-17","bidsCount": 2,}, {"IDs": [{"lotId": "2","Id": "123456"}],"date": "2009-04-17","bidsCount": 4,}, {"IDs": [{"lotId": "3","Id": "123456"}],"date": "2009-04-17","bidsCount": 8,}]}
{"type": "CLOSED","title": "clouds","json": [{"IDs": [{"lotId": "1","Id": "23345"}],"date": "2009-05-17","bidsCount": 2,}, {"IDs": [{"lotId": "2","Id": "23345"}],"date": "2009-05-17","bidsCount": 4,}, {"IDs": [{"lotId": "3","Id": "23345"}],"date": "2009-05-17","bidsCount": 8,}]}


df = pd.read_json("file.json", lines=True)

I am trying to make them into a data frame, something like

Id      lotId      bidsCount    date
123456  1          2            2009-04-17
123456  2          4            2009-04-17
123456  3          8            2009-04-17

by using

json_normalize(df["json"])

However I get

AttributeError: 'list' object has no attribute 'values'

I guess the json snippet is seen as a list, however I can not figure out how to make it work otherwise. Help appreciated!

1 Answers
Related