I am trying to focus my map on a specific area of Antarctica using 'spstere' projection from the matplotlib package in Python. I am able to plot the whole of Antarctica but this time I want to 'zoom' in and have a closer look at a specific area of the continent.
Similar examples using other projections (Pyplot contour plot - clabel spacing; http://matplotlib.org/basemap/api/basemap_api.html; https://matplotlib.org/basemap/users/examples.html) are available online but I have not been able to apply those to the 'spstere' projection over Antarctica.
I basically want to focus my map on the region of the Antarctic Peninsula, which spans roughly from
llcrnrlon=-100,urcrnrlon=-30,llcrnrlat=-90,urcrnrlat=-55.0
I have tried to use this code with the 'spstere' proj but python only takes into account boundinglat and lon_0. I've tried to change the values for boundinglat and lon_0 but it does not work either.
Any idea how I could go about? I have also tried using other projections such as 'cyl' but instead of getting a nice square like the 'spstere' proj, I get a horizontal rectangle.
m = Basemap(projection='cyl',lon_0=0,lat_0=0,\
llcrnrlon=-180,urcrnrlon=180,llcrnrlat=-90,urcrnrlat=-55.0,resolution='c')
Any help would be highly appreciated!