How to handle async Node.js in a loop

Viewed 2826

I have such a loop :

var i,j,temparray,chunk = 200;
for (i=0,j=document.mainarray.length; i<j; i+=chunk) {
  temparray = document.mainarray.slice(i,i+chunk);

  var docs =  collection.find({ id: { "$in": temparray}}).toArray();

  docs.then(function(singleDoc)
  {
    if(singleDoc)
    {
      console.log("single doc length : " + singleDoc.length);
      var t;
      for(t = 0, len = singleDoc.length; t < len;t++)
      {
        fs.appendFile("C:/Users/x/Desktop/names.txt", singleDoc[t].name + "\n", function(err) {
          if(err) {
            return console.log(err);
          }
        });
      }
    }
  });
}

The loop iterates for two times. In first iteration it gets 200 elements, in second, it gets 130 elements. And when I open the .txt file, I see only 130 names. I guess because of the async nature of Node.js, only second part of the array is processed. What should I do to get all parts of the array to be processed? Thanks in advance.

EDIT : I finally turned the code to this :

var generalArr = [];
var i,j,temparray,chunk = 200;
for (i=0,j=document.mainarray.length; i<j; i+=chunk) {
    temparray = document.mainarray.slice(i,i+chunk);

generalArr.push(temparray);


} 

async.each(generalArr, function(item, callback)
{

  var docs =  collection.find({ id: { "$in": item}}).toArray();

   docs.then(function(singleDoc)
  {
    if(singleDoc)
    {
      console.log("single doc length : " + singleDoc.length);
              var t;
        for(t = 0, len = singleDoc.length; t < len;t++)
        {    
           fs.appendFile("C:/Users/x/Desktop/names.txt", singleDoc[t].name + "\n", function(err) {
          if(err) {
          return console.log(err);
          }
        });
        }
    }


  });

  callback(null);
})

When I change this line :

var docs =  collection.find({ id: { "$in": item}}).toArray();

To this line :

var docs =  collection.find({ id: { "$in": item}}).project({ name: 1 }).toArray();

It works, I'm able to print all names. I guess there is a problem with memory when I try without .project(). How can I make this work without using project? Should I change some memory limits? Thanks in advance.

6 Answers
Related