Debugger popup message "Getting DataTip text"

Viewed 9868

This Debugger message pops up randomly while i am attempting to examine a variable while a breakpoint has hit in Visual Studio 2017.

Shortly thereafter, a larger message box appears that shows the following: "Evaluating the function 'System.Reflection.Assembly.LoadForm' timed out."

After enabling option Tools / Options / Debugging / General / Only managed code, the second message box have disappeared. But first message is still showing.

The problem is that first popup window appears for a relatively long time, that makes debugging process very noncomfortable. What else Visual Studio debugger options could I set to disable this popup?

7 Answers

This solution works fine for me:

Uncheck the new langage JavasScript Language Service in Options -> Editor -> JavaScript -> Language Service.

Option capture

I'm having this same issue and there doesn't appear to be a solution. It's extremely frustrating because when the "Getting DataTip text..." does popup and eventually goes away, my breakpoints no longer work.

The solutions listed here have not solved the problem, I've tried them ALL ... even a wipe and re-install of OS and VS 2015.

Debugging without ability to do property evaluation and other implicit function calls is basically NOT debugging and defeats the purpose.

Microsoft seem to be aware of the problem but keep closing the tickets as "unable to replicate" ... yet, a simple Google Search will show many many thousands of hits of developers running into this problem. I keep opening tickets with Microsoft, but they just keep getting closed or merged with no solution.

Cheers, Rob.

The ONLY solution that worked for me:

  1. CMD window (Run As Admin)
  2. type SFC /SCANNOW and wait for it to complete and hopefully fix any errors
  3. Reboot
  4. Bring up VS 2015 or 2017 without loading any project
  5. In VS select Tools | Import and Export Settings | Reset all Setting ... now pick the template you use (i.e. VB, C, Web)
  6. Exit VS
  7. Load VS project and debug

Cheers, Rob.

Old post, but maybe it will help someone anyway ;)

In my case I got this every time I examined the first variable while debugging. Annoying as hell as I due to the nature of the work restart the debugger often.

This was cause by that the location where my Visual Studio 2017 files were saved, was a cloud drive and it actually had to sync the files before showing the data.

The solution was to mark that whole folder "Always keep on this device".

Cheers,

​Here is one possible solution:

I had this error never seen - then my graphics card (Nvidia) was gone and I removed the graphics card and worked with the integrated Intel. Then I got this error in after 3-4 steps. I installed a Nvidia again and now the "getting data" text message was never shown again.

Btw: this was the fix for the error

"64 bit debugging operation is taking longer than expected"

Related