R mlogit throws Error in solve.default(H, g[!fixed]):system is computationally singular: reciprocal condition number

Viewed 1305

I'm trying to do discrete choice modeling on the below data. Basically, 30 customers have 16 different choices of pizza. They can choose more than 1 type of pizza and the ones they choose is indicated by choice variable.

pizza   cust choice pan thin pineapple veggie sausage romano mozarella oz
1      1  Cust1      0   1    0         1      0       0      1         0  1
2      2  Cust1      1   0    1         1      0       0      0         0  0
3      3  Cust1      0   0    0         1      0       0      0         1  1
4      4  Cust1      1   0    1         1      0       0      0         0  0
5      5  Cust1      1   1    0         0      1       0      0         0  1
6      6  Cust1      0   0    1         0      1       0      1         0  0
7      7  Cust1      0   0    0         0      1       0      0         0  1
8      8  Cust1      1   0    1         0      1       0      0         1  0
9      9  Cust1      0   1    0         0      0       1      0         1  0
10    10  Cust1      1   0    1         0      0       1      0         0  1
11    11  Cust1      0   0    0         0      0       1      1         0  0
12    12  Cust1      0   0    1         0      0       1      0         0  1
13    13  Cust1      0   1    0         0      0       0      0         0  0
14    14  Cust1      1   0    1         0      0       0      0         1  1
15    15  Cust1      0   0    0         0      0       0      0         0  0
16    16  Cust1      0   0    1         0      0       0      1         0  1
17     1 Cust10      0   1    0         1      0       0      1         0  1
18     2 Cust10      0   0    1         1      0       0      0         0  0
19     3 Cust10      0   0    0         1      0       0      0         1  1
20     4 Cust10      0   0    1         1      0       0      0         0  0

When I use the below command to transform my data. I tried making few changes here like adding chid.var = "chid" and alt.levels=c(1:16). If I use both alt.levels and alt.var it gives me an error saying pizza already exists and will be replaced. However, I get no error if I use either of them.

pz <- mlogit.data(pizza,shape = "long",choice = "choice",
                  varying = 4:8, id = "cust", alt.var =  "pizza")

Finally, when I use the mlogit command, I get this error.

mlogit(choice ~ pan + thin + pineapple + veggie + sausage + romano + mozarella + oz, pz)

Error in solve.default(H, g[!fixed]) : 
  system is computationally singular: reciprocal condition number = 8.23306e-19

This is my first post on stackoverflow. I visit this site very often and so far never needed to post as I found solutions already. I went through almost all similar posts like this one but in vain. I'm new to discrete choice modeling so I don't know if I'm making any fundamental mistake here.

Also, I'm not really sure what chid.var does.

1 Answers
Related