Updating Gitlab from 9.3.7 to 9.3.8 getting Error installing re2

Viewed 1939

We are running on Ubuntu 14.04, with Gitlab 9.3.7, which works fine. We are trying to update to the latest security patch of Gitlab v9.3.8, but it gives us this error:

Gem::Ext::BuildError: ERROR: Failed to build gem native extension.

    current directory: /home/git/gitlab/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.3.0/gems/re2-1.0.0/ext/re2
/usr/local/bin/ruby -r ./siteconf20170720-19622-15i0edf.rb extconf.rb
checking for main() in -lstdc++... yes
checking for stdint.h... yes
checking for rb_str_sublen()... yes
checking for main() in -lre2... no
You must have re2 installed and specified with --with-re2-dir, please see https://github.com/google/re2/wiki/Install
*** extconf.rb failed ***
Could not create Makefile due to some reason, probably lack of necessary
libraries and/or headers.  Check the mkmf.log file for more details.  You may
need configuration options.

Provided configuration options:
    --with-opt-dir
    --without-opt-dir
    --with-opt-include
    --without-opt-include=${opt-dir}/include
    --with-opt-lib
    --without-opt-lib=${opt-dir}/lib
    --with-make-prog
    --without-make-prog
    --srcdir=.
    --curdir
    --ruby=/usr/local/bin/$(RUBY_BASE_NAME)
    --with-re2-dir
    --without-re2-dir
    --with-re2-include
    --without-re2-include=${re2-dir}/include
    --with-re2-lib
    --without-re2-lib=${re2-dir}/lib
    --with-stdc++lib
    --without-stdc++lib
    --with-re2lib
    --without-re2lib

To see why this extension failed to compile, please check the mkmf.log which can be found here:

  /home/git/gitlab/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.3.0/extensions/x86_64-linux/2.3.0-static/re2-1.0.0/mkmf.log

extconf failed, exit code 1

Gem files will remain installed in /home/git/gitlab/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.3.0/gems/re2-1.0.0 for inspection.
Results logged to /home/git/gitlab/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.3.0/extensions/x86_64-linux/2.3.0-static/re2-1.0.0/gem_make.out

An error occurred while installing re2 (1.0.0), and Bundler cannot continue.
Make sure that `gem install re2 -v '1.0.0'` succeeds before bundling.

In Gemfile:
  re2

The mkmf.log file contains:

have_library: checking for main() in -lstdc++... -------------------- yes

"gcc -o conftest -I/usr/local/include/ruby-2.3.0/x86_64-linux -I/usr/local/include/ruby-2.3.0/ruby/backward -I/usr/local/include/ruby-2.3.0 -I. -I/usr/local/include     -O3 -fno-fast-math -ggdb3 -Wall -Wextra -Wno-unused-parameter -Wno-parentheses -Wno-long-long -Wno-missing-field-initializers -Wunused-variable -Wpointer-arith -Wwrite-strings -Wdeclaration-after-statement -Wimplicit-function-declaration -Wdeprecated-declarations -Wno-packed-bitfield-compat -Wall -Wextra -funroll-loops conftest.c  -L. -L/usr/local/lib -Wl,-R/usr/local/lib -L/usr/local/lib -Wl,-R/usr/local/lib -L. -fstack-protector -rdynamic -Wl,-export-dynamic     -Wl,-R/usr/local/lib -L/usr/local/lib -lruby-static  -lpthread -ldl -lcrypt -lm   -lc"
checked program was:
/* begin */
1: #include "ruby.h"
2:
3: int main(int argc, char **argv)
4: {
5:   return 0;
6: }
/* end */

"gcc -o conftest -I/usr/local/include/ruby-2.3.0/x86_64-linux -I/usr/local/include/ruby-2.3.0/ruby/backward -I/usr/local/include/ruby-2.3.0 -I. -I/usr/local/include     -O3 -fno-fast-math -ggdb3 -Wall -Wextra -Wno-unused-parameter -Wno-parentheses -Wno-long-long -Wno-missing-field-initializers -Wunused-variable -Wpointer-arith -Wwrite-strings -Wdeclaration-after-statement -Wimplicit-function-declaration -Wdeprecated-declarations -Wno-packed-bitfield-compat -Wall -Wextra -funroll-loops conftest.c  -L. -L/usr/local/lib -Wl,-R/usr/local/lib -L/usr/local/lib -Wl,-R/usr/local/lib -L. -fstack-protector -rdynamic -Wl,-export-dynamic     -Wl,-R/usr/local/lib -L/usr/local/lib -lruby-static -lstdc++  -lpthread -ldl -lcrypt -lm   -lc"
checked program was:
/* begin */
 1: #include "ruby.h"
 2:
 3: /*top*/
 4: extern int t(void);
 5: int main(int argc, char **argv)
 6: {
 7:   if (argc > 1000000) {
 8:     printf("%p", &t);
 9:   }
10:
11:   return 0;
12: }
13: int t(void) { void ((*volatile p)()); p = (void ((*)()))main; return !p; }
/* end */

--------------------

have_header: checking for stdint.h... -------------------- yes

"gcc -E -I/usr/local/include/ruby-2.3.0/x86_64-linux -I/usr/local/include/ruby-2.3.0/ruby/backward -I/usr/local/include/ruby-2.3.0 -I. -I/usr/local/include     -O3 -fno-fast-math -ggdb3 -Wall -Wextra -Wno-unused-parameter -Wno-parentheses -Wno-long-long -Wno-missing-field-initializers -Wunused-variable -Wpointer-arith -Wwrite-strings -Wdeclaration-after-statement -Wimplicit-function-declaration -Wdeprecated-declarations -Wno-packed-bitfield-compat -Wall -Wextra -funroll-loops  conftest.c -o conftest.i"
checked program was:
/* begin */
1: #include "ruby.h"
2:
3: #include <stdint.h>
/* end */

--------------------

have_func: checking for rb_str_sublen()... -------------------- yes

"gcc -o conftest -I/usr/local/include/ruby-2.3.0/x86_64-linux -I/usr/local/include/ruby-2.3.0/ruby/backward -I/usr/local/include/ruby-2.3.0 -I. -I/usr/local/include     -O3 -fno-fast-math -ggdb3 -Wall -Wextra -Wno-unused-parameter -Wno-parentheses -Wno-long-long -Wno-missing-field-initializers -Wunused-variable -Wpointer-arith -Wwrite-strings -Wdeclaration-after-statement -Wimplicit-function-declaration -Wdeprecated-declarations -Wno-packed-bitfield-compat -Wall -Wextra -funroll-loops conftest.c  -L. -L/usr/local/lib -Wl,-R/usr/local/lib -L/usr/local/lib -Wl,-R/usr/local/lib -L. -fstack-protector -rdynamic -Wl,-export-dynamic    -lstdc++  -Wl,-R/usr/local/lib -L/usr/local/lib -lruby-static -lstdc++  -lpthread -ldl -lcrypt -lm   -lc"
checked program was:
/* begin */
 1: #include "ruby.h"
 2:
 3: /*top*/
 4: extern int t(void);
 5: int main(int argc, char **argv)
 6: {
 7:   if (argc > 1000000) {
 8:     printf("%p", &t);
 9:   }
10:
11:   return 0;
12: }
13: int t(void) { void ((*volatile p)()); p = (void ((*)()))rb_str_sublen; return !p; }
/* end */

--------------------

have_library: checking for main() in -lre2... -------------------- no

"gcc -o conftest -I/usr/local/include/ruby-2.3.0/x86_64-linux -I/usr/local/include/ruby-2.3.0/ruby/backward -I/usr/local/include/ruby-2.3.0 -I. -I/usr/local/include     -O3 -fno-fast-math -ggdb3 -Wall -Wextra -Wno-unused-parameter -Wno-parentheses -Wno-long-long -Wno-missing-field-initializers -Wunused-variable -Wpointer-arith -Wwrite-strings -Wdeclaration-after-statement -Wimplicit-function-declaration -Wdeprecated-declarations -Wno-packed-bitfield-compat -Wall -Wextra -funroll-loops conftest.c  -L. -L/usr/local/lib -Wl,-R/usr/local/lib -L/usr/local/lib -Wl,-R/usr/local/lib -L. -fstack-protector -rdynamic -Wl,-export-dynamic    -lstdc++  -Wl,-R/usr/local/lib -L/usr/local/lib -lruby-static -lre2 -lstdc++  -lpthread -ldl -lcrypt -lm   -lc"
/usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lre2
collect2: error: ld returned 1 exit status
checked program was:
/* begin */
 1: #include "ruby.h"
 2:
 3: /*top*/
 4: extern int t(void);
 5: int main(int argc, char **argv)
 6: {
 7:   if (argc > 1000000) {
 8:     printf("%p", &t);
 9:   }
10:
11:   return 0;
12: }
13: int t(void) { void ((*volatile p)()); p = (void ((*)()))main; return !p; }
/* end */

"gcc -o conftest -I/usr/local/include/ruby-2.3.0/x86_64-linux -I/usr/local/include/ruby-2.3.0/ruby/backward -I/usr/local/include/ruby-2.3.0 -I. -I/usr/local/include     -O3 -fno-fast-math -ggdb3 -Wall -Wextra -Wno-unused-parameter -Wno-parentheses -Wno-long-long -Wno-missing-field-initializers -Wunused-variable -Wpointer-arith -Wwrite-strings -Wdeclaration-after-statement -Wimplicit-function-declaration -Wdeprecated-declarations -Wno-packed-bitfield-compat -Wall -Wextra -funroll-loops conftest.c  -L. -L/usr/local/lib -Wl,-R/usr/local/lib -L/usr/local/lib -Wl,-R/usr/local/lib -L. -fstack-protector -rdynamic -Wl,-export-dynamic    -lstdc++  -Wl,-R/usr/local/lib -L/usr/local/lib -lruby-static -lre2 -lstdc++  -lpthread -ldl -lcrypt -lm   -lc"
conftest.c:13:13: error: conflicting types for ‘main’
 extern void main();
             ^
conftest.c:5:5: note: previous definition of ‘main’ was here
 int main(int argc, char **argv)
     ^
checked program was:
/* begin */
 1: #include "ruby.h"
 2:
 3: /*top*/
 4: extern int t(void);
 5: int main(int argc, char **argv)
 6: {
 7:   if (argc > 1000000) {
 8:     printf("%p", &t);
 9:   }
10:
11:   return 0;
12: }
13: extern void main();
14: int t(void) { main(); return 0; }
/* end */

--------------------

I've tried adding ruby-dev and ruby2.3-dev as we are using Ruby 2.3. No changes in the update. As this is a fairly recent patch, Gitlab has no further information on their site, and the installation instructions for re2 have not helped.

4 Answers

I have the same error on macOS Big Sur. And below installation solve the problem

brew install re2
Related