removing duplicate rows and dependencies without cursor

Viewed 204

I have a table that has a long list of duplicated items. I am working on a stored procedure to consolidate them all into one record. Each one of the duplicated items has a number of child tables that should either be deleted, or rekeyed to point at the resulting record. My table has an Id, but the ReadableIdentifier is the column I need to deduplicate.

Id | ReadableIdentifier | Name        | UpdatedOn
1  | ABC1234            | Product X   | 2014-04-25 16:00:08.000
2  | ABC1234            | Product X   | 2014-04-28 16:00:08.000
3  | ABC1234            | Product X   | 2014-04-21 16:00:08.000
4  | ABDD9945           | Widget R    | 2014-04-25 16:00:08.000
5  | ABDD9945           | Widget R    | 2014-04-25 18:45:08.000

As you can see, records 1-3 are duplicates with different Id's and UpdatedOn dates. Same for 4-5. I need to consolidate these into one record, preferring the one with the most recent UpdatedOn date.

End Goal (not showing children tables):

Id | ReadableIdentifier | Name        | UpdatedOn
2  | ABC1234            | Product X   | 2014-04-28 16:00:08.000
5  | ABDD9945           | Widget R    | 2014-04-25 18:45:08.000

I am using a CURSOR to do this, but am wondering if there is a better solution.

DECLARE dupeCursor CURSOR 
    FAST_FORWARD
FOR 
    WITH Counts AS (
        SELECT
            COUNT(1) Count,
            ReadableIdentifier
        FROM dbo.Item WITH (NOLOCK)
        WHERE ReadableIdentifier IS NOT NULL
        GROUP BY ReadableIdentifier)
    SELECT
        Counts.Count, 
        Counts.ReadableIdentifier,
        Counts.CompanyId
    FROM
        Counts
    WHERE Counts.Count > 1;

OPEN dupeCursor;
DECLARE @readableId VARCHAR(50);
DECLARE @itemToPersistId INT, @itemToDeleteId INT;
FETCH NEXT FROM dupeCursor INTO @readableId;

WHILE @@FETCH_STATUS = 0
BEGIN

   WITH V AS (
      SELECT Id, ROW_NUMBER() OVER (PARTITION BY ReadableId ORDER BY UpdatedOn DESC) as Row
        FROM dbo.Item WITH (NOLOCK) WHERE ReadableId = @readableId
   )
   SELECT @itemToPersistId = Id
   FROM V
   WHERE V.Row = 1

   CREATE TABLE #itemsToDelete (Id UNIQUEIDENTIFIER)
   INSERT INTO #itemsToDelete
   SELECT Id
   FROM dbo.Item WITH (NOLOCK)
   WHERE ReadableId = @readableId AND Id != @itemToPersistId;

   --UPDATE CHILDREN TABLES
   DELETE FROM dbo.ItemDetails WHERE ItemId IN (SELECT Id FROM #itemsToDelete);

   UPDATE dbo.ItemPurchases SET ItemId = @itemToPersistId 
   WHERE ItemId IN (SELECT Id FROM #itemsToDelete); 

   UPDATE dbo.PurchaseOrders SET ItemId = @itemToPersistId 
   WHERE ItemId IN (SELECT Id FROM #itemsToDelete); 

   DELETE FROM dbo.ItemMetadata WHERE ItemId IN (SELECT Id FROM #itemsToDelete); 

   --delete Duplicated Items
   DELETE FROM dbo.Item WHERE Id IN (SELECT Id FROM #itemsToDelete);

   DROP TABLE #itemsToDelete

   FETCH NEXT FROM dupeCursor INTO @readableId;
END

CLOSE dupeCursor;
DEALLOCATE dupeCursor;

I realize the cursor is most likely the issue, but I'm not sure how to go about updating all of the child tables without using one.

1 Answers
Related