Can <meta name="theme-color"> be tested locally on a desktop?

Viewed 1973

I'm trying to test out the <meta> tag <meta name="theme-color" content="#000000">, but I'd like to test this out locally on a desktop rather than somehow seeing it on a mobile device. It would be useful to see a preview of this tag in action.

This particular <meta> tag is outlined here: https://developers.google.com/web/updates/2014/11/Support-for-theme-color-in-Chrome-39-for-Android

Is it possible to test this locally on a desktop? I tried going into Chrome Developer Tools and toggling the Device Toolbar, but unfortunately the mobile Chrome toolbar doesn't show up in that view.

1 Answers

Here you can see what browsers support this feature: https://caniuse.com/#search=theme-color

Currently Chrome desktop supports it if running in PWA mode. And supposedly you can run any webpage in this mode.

On my machine, from a cmd prompt I can enter:

"C:\Program Files (x86)\Google\Chrome\Application\chrome.exe" --app=https://cnn.com

But I'm not actually seeing theme colors being displayed in the title bar.

Related