Disk validation failed for AWS Import/Export task

Viewed 10955

I have been trying to convert a Docker image into a VMDK file for creating an AWS AMI using AWS's Import/Export. For that:

  1. I have used this guide for creating the .img file from my DockerFile.

  2. Now, I am using this command: VBoxManage convertfromraw --format VMDK disk.img disk.vmdk to convert my .img file to a .vmdk file, as IMG format, is unsupported by the AWS service.

However, when I run the Import/Export service, it gives me this error:

"StatusMessage": "ClientError: Disk validation failed [Unsupported VMDK File Format]"

Is there anything which I did wrong in my conversion process?

3 Answers

I was getting an error like: Disk validation failed [We do not have access to the specified resource. 403 Forbidden]

I knew the role was fine because I've uploaded plenty of images in the past. Sometimes I would use ova format, sometime vmdk, it always worked, until it stopped working.

As mentioned above, the error 'disk validation failed' is helpful. The message 'unable to access the resource' AND the '403 forbidden' had me looking at permission for 2 days. Ultimately, I heeded the warning and looked at the disk validation, not the permission. Sure enough, though my ova had no spaces in the file name, the vmdk inside it had a space in the file name, an the resource couldn't be found. Make sure you extract your ova (or verify with tar tvfz) and verify the disk file name has no spaces in the file name.

Related