Are MD5 hashes always either capital or lowercase?

Viewed 19388

I'm passing an HMAC-MD5 encoded parameter into a form and the vendor is returning it as invalid. However, it matches what their hash generator gives me, with the exception of capitalization on the letters. What I did to get around this was use an lcase command. I'm wondering if this will cause me trouble later. Coldfusion generates the hashed string in capital letters, the vendor always seems to use lowercase; is it always one or the other or will they ever be mixed?

3 Answers

While RFC-1321 MD5 Message-Digest Algorithm doesn't discuss hexadecimal string encoding, the test suite does show results in lowercase.

The MD5 test suite (driver option "-x") should print the following results:

MD5 test suite:
MD5 ("") = d41d8cd98f00b204e9800998ecf8427e
MD5 ("a") = 0cc175b9c0f1b6a831c399e269772661
MD5 ("abc") = 900150983cd24fb0d6963f7d28e17f72
MD5 ("message digest") = f96b697d7cb7938d525a2f31aaf161d0
MD5 ("abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz") = c3fcd3d76192e4007dfb496cca67e13b
MD5 ("ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZabcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz0123456789") =
d174ab98d277d9f5a5611c2c9f419d9f
MD5 ("123456789012345678901234567890123456789012345678901234567890123456
78901234567890") = 57edf4a22be3c955ac49da2e2107b67a

Lowercase is simply the outcome of C/C++ printf() format specifier %02x, not a requirement: "should print", not "must print".

Ref: RFC-1321 Appendix A.5 Test suite

Related