What will be the exact code to get count of last level cache misses on Intel Kaby Lake architecture

Viewed 1011

I read an interesting paper, entitled "A High-Resolution Side-Channel Attack on Last-Level Cache", and wanted to find out the index hash function for my own machine—i.e., Intel Core i7-7500U (Kaby Lake architecture)—following the leads from this work.

To reverse-engineer the hash function, the paper mentions the first step as:

 for (n=16; ; n++) 
 {
   // ignore any miss on first run
   for (fill=0; !fill; fill++) 
   {
     // set pmc to count LLC miss
     reset_pmc();
     for (a=0; a<n; a++)
       // set_count*line_size=2^19
       load(a*2^19);
   }

   // get the LLC miss count
   if (read_pmc()>0) 
   {
     min = n;
     break;
   }
 }

How can I code the reset_pmc() and read_pmc() in C++? From all that I read online so far, I think it requires inline assembly code, but I have no clue what instructions to use to get the LLC miss count. I would be obliged if someone can specify the code for these two steps.

I am running Ubuntu 16.04.1 (64-bit) on VMware workstation.

P.S.: I found mention of these LONGEST_LAT_CACHE.REFERENCES and LONGEST_LAT_CACHE.MISSES in Chapter-18 Volume 3B of the Intel Architectures Software Developer's Manual, but I do not know how to use them.

2 Answers

I would use PAPI, see http://icl.cs.utk.edu/PAPI/ This is a cross platform solution that has a lot of support, especially from the hpc community.

Related