I am using Docker with Docker Compose and these are my files:
#DOCKERFILE
FROM mhart/alpine-node
# Create app directory
RUN mkdir -p /home/app
# Bundle app soure
COPY . /home/app
# From now on we work in /home/app
WORKDIR /home/app
# Install yarn and node modules
RUN echo -e 'http://dl-cdn.alpinelinux.org/alpine/edge/main\nhttp://dl-
cdn.alpinelinux.org/alpine/edge/community\nhttp://dl-
cdn.alpinelinux.org/alpine/edge/testing' > /etc/apk/repositories \
&& apk add --no-cache yarn \
&& yarn
EXPOSE 8080
This is the docker-compose file for dev:
app:
build: .
command: yarn start:dev
environment:
NODE_ENV: development
ports:
- '8080:8080'
volumes:
- .:/home/app
- /home/app/node_modules
The problem I am having is that this setup seems to work just once because no matter which new module I add to the package.json, whenever I run docker-compose build it will not install the new package.
The reason why I am using the volumes is because nodemon would not work without .:/home/app, but if the node modules are not installed in the host then it will fail, reason why I need /home/app/node_modules. I suspect this could be the cause of my error, but I am not sure how to circumvent that.